Thursday, November 29, 2012

Veeam Server 2012 Deduplication

I posted roughly a couple weeks ago some first impressions of Veeam.  I ended up deploying a Server 2012 Standard VM to use as my final Veeam server.  The reason is because of the built in deduplication that server 2012 can do on its volumes.  I wanted to share my results after a week of running.


I am highly impressed!  I am saving 1.72TB of data after Veeam does its dedup magic!  We have roughly 13TB of raw data in our VCenter so you can see that Veeam with server 2012 (both doing dedup magic) uses well less than half that data for a 30 day retention.  It was very straight forward to setup and I highly recommend anyone who is using a similar solution as Veeam running on a windows server to look at upgrading the server OS to server 2012 to save some space on your backup discs!

This entire solution costs us roughly $42k.  The san we use for the backups is a simple HP san with 24TB of storage.  This was roughly $20k cheaper than a solution I was quoted that used Veeam with Data Domain, and much cheaper than Avamar which was over $100k.  Both of those solutions would have provided much better deduplication alone without Veeam's built in dedup, but the built in dedup from server 2012 was able to save us some money for a dedup solution that is not all that bad!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment