Friday, September 28, 2012

VMware User Group Conference

Yesterday I attended my first VMware user group conference in Chicago.  #ChicagoVMUG
I had a lot of fun and learned a ton.  One thing that I have always enjoyed about attending a technical conference is the networking.  You get to meet folks who have similar passions for technology and can give you valuable insight, tips and a chance to form a long term relationship that can be beneficial to your career.  You also get to listen to new ideas, see whats up and coming and get info on how to best utilize what you already are involved in with your career.

In my case yesterday I learned a great deal on how to make your VCenter environment run optimally.  Being on the Vendor side of the business for 10 years and having taken classes for VMware certifications I already know the lingo, acronyms and general understanding of VCenter.  But to actually get some insight on best practices that have changed recently and a general overview of how to make your vcenter run optimally was refreshing!

I also sat through a great Presentation from Scott Lowe on staying up to date and relevant in the IT field.  I was pleased to learn that what he presented on this subject is already how I approach it but he says it so much more clearly than I could.  (Please visit Scott Lowe's blog here... lots of great insight and info for VMware and storage).  Click here for Scott's presentation notes... it is definitely worth the read!

I also am amazed at how the storage industry is changing rapidly and that there are tons of storage company's that are starting to make names for themselves.  I definitely plan on looking more into Nimble Storage and Nimbus Data san's in the next few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment