Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Linux FTP server

I setup an FTP server today using Linux.  This is my first time doing this.  It was relatively simple.  I have to tweak the users and groups yet but that should not be too big of a deal.  I wanted some space that I could store some files and access them from a web browser making it easier to do from my tablet or a guest PC.

I used Ubuntu 12.04 which I have been using exclusively for Linux stuff since it makes more sense to me logically how the config files work on the system.

Here are the steps to setup FTP:

-Install the distro, (I have a VM Template)
-Address the Server in the /etc/network/interfaces file.
-I turn off the firewall: sudo ufw disable
-I used vsftp (very secure ftp): sudo apt-get install vsftpd
-Now go to the config file at: /etc/vsftpd.conf and open it in an editor
-If you want to have anonymous users have download access you will need to unremark: #anonymous_enable=yes  (I left mine as is as I don't want just anyone being able to access my files).
-Unremark #write_enable=yes
-Add users: sudo adduser <username>

By Default the ftp directory is located at /srv/ftp  This is fine for my use but you can change it by using the mkdir commands.

I will be massaging this as I learn more, but for now this gets the meat and bones of it up and running.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment